A good pillow for sleeping should be comfortable to lay your head upon, but most importantly it must support your neck keeping it in alignment with the rest of your spine. There are many different pillows on the market today from traditional feather and fiber ones to shaped pillows, memory foam and buckwheat pillows. It can be difficult to know what to choose.
There is no one “best” pillow for everyone. Try these tips to pick the pillow that’s right for you.
- Choose a size of pillow suitable for your body size or frame. The pillow should cover the entire back of your neck to avoid putting pressure on your spine.
- Try out the pillow. Most pillows are packaged in a plastic wrapper so you can lay it on a display bed in the store and put your head on it. This is the best way to find out if you are on the right track.
- A hypoallergenic pillow is a must if you suffer from allergies, but it is also a good choice for anyone.
- Buckwheat filled pillows have become increasingly popular. Buckwheat is hypoallergenic, it will mold to the contours of your head and neck providing good support, but it will also change shape when you move.
- Chiroflow water pillow is the only pillow clinically shown in 3 independent clinical studies to improve sleep and reduce neck pain. In a study at Johns Hopkins University, the Chiroflow pillow ranked best in all 5 categories studied over all other pillows tested. It prevents the pain caused by improper sleep positions, and help people rest better and feel refreshed in the morning.
A good quality, supportive pillow provides many benefits including a better night’s sleep, improved circulation, fewer aches and pains and even reduced snoring. Take your time and choose carefully. Your neck and back will thank you for it!